Friday 23 March 2012

Papa and Mama Lau Kok Kok Liao...


My son reckons he has the dumbest parents in the world when computer and electronic goods are concerned.
Our old TV has finally died and although I know it’s time to get one of those fancy new high-definition digital and 3D televisions I’ve been hearing so much about lately, I haven’t really gone to shop for one as yet because I am at a loss. It is not so much a demise of our equipment that had dutifully delivered us so many years of some of our favourite TV programs including our morning and evening news in the family room, but I’ve don’t know quite how to replace it. Sure, we have decided we want the best that’s out there and have decided on an LED TV. We’re all set to get our new LED TV but don’t know quite where to start. To be honest, I lack the basic technical know-how with most electrical goods and can’t tell the difference between the knee and the elbow when LCD and LED TVs are concerned.
The main reason I have been spending some time on the Internet to do some homework before going to the shop is that I do not want to look like a goose in front of the salesperson at the showroom, asking the wrong questions. To better understand LED TVs, I have done some googling to look at the basic technology behind most LCD TVs. Of course, even the basic is rocket science to me. It took me the whole morning on the Internet just to learn an LCD TV is basically a grid setup in front of a light. To the savvy, the grid of course is divided into pixels and each pixel has its red, green, and blue sub-pixels. What is a pixel? I shouted this question across the room to my son. “Look up on the Internet, Dad” was his nonchalant reply. Now, I need not have to explain further, why I have to spend the whole morning on the Internet doing my LED homework. I have also learned that in order to allow light to pass through the screen a physical gate is opened allowing light to pass through. The degree to which the gate is opened will determine the intensity of the colour and by varying how far the red gate is opened relative to the blue and green gates will produce virtually any colour. As if that is not enough to add further confusion and make matter worst for me, not all LED TVs are created equal. Most LED TVs really aren’t true LED TVs; rather, they use LED backlighting. Most LCD TVs on the market today use CCFL lighting, similar to fluorescent lighting for your room. The downside to CCFL is the light is always on when the TV is on. 

In our fast-paced world of technology, what I have just learned may become obsolete in a short time. I better hurry to the shop before I turned myself into a goose.

7 comments:

  1. I actually did what you are doing last year, but it was between plasma or LED. I went for plasma, but LED is better and therefore more expensive. The picture quality on both the plasma and LED is about the same.

    The most important thing, IMO, is the screen resolution. Kinda like your monitor screen, where you have the option 1980 x 1080(good) vs say 1280 vs 720(not so good) , in TV terms the numbers used are 1080 vs 720.

    Finally, the screen size. Size DOES matter. I read before buying that no matter what size you buy, after 2 weeks, you wished you had bought a bigger TV. I planned to buy a 40inch, eventually bought a 52 inch, wished i had bought bigger, but i am so glad i didn't get the 40 inch.

    If you have a generous budget($2k+) go for LED, Samsung and Sony has some nice models. If your budget is about $1k+, like mine, consider a plasma, panasonic is the king of plasma.

    this is a good and recent article on TVs
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

    ""And the winner is...
    If you want to count wins and losses from the list above, have at it. The thing is, these items don't have equal weight. That's the point. For one person, absolute light output is absolute, for another, black level is above all else. These two performance aspects are, for now mutually exclusive.

    So don't listen to those who say, "well, its brightest, it's best" or "LCD's black level is terrible, so they blow." Reading through this list I'm positive you mentally weighted certain factors above others, even if you didn't notice it at first. Go with your gut. If you watch a lot of TV during the day, or have a room with lots of windows, LED LCD is probably best. If you watch at night, and want the TV to disappear into the background, plasma is probably best.""

    Gd luck Uncle Phil!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. plasma is phasing out, and plasma dun last >3years. i feel. i may be wrong.

    the more lasting option i will go for is lcd led.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riz, you made the right choice.

    Although LED/LCD technology has improved significantly in the last few years, I would still prefer Plasma for the superior picture quality (specifically the contrast ratio), better refresh rate and the wider viewing angle.

    The only draw back is higher power consumption.

    I.S.
    Plasma technology has improved as well in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anon!
    That's why i choose the link, cuz it's very recent, written December 2011.

    Basically the link I put up summarizes the difference between plasma and led lcd ,that ""the two performance aspects are, for now, mutually exclusive"".You can have either or, not both.

    Because of that, only when man have invented a TV which can address both the best of the LCD and plasma will the plasma start to die off. Definitely not in foreseeable further. ( I am generalising as some LEDs, to a certain extent, have the best of both worlds, as long as you are willing to burn that hole in your wallet :P)

    So which is better? Only YOU can answer that question. (Just like the pros and cons of living in Singapore vs Australia :P For the most part, they are mutually exclusive :) )

    I use the plasma TV in my bedroom, yes a 52 inch tv in the bedroom!! At night, its like i'm at the movies. Put on a blue ray movie and wow!! I haven't gone to the movies since!

    But during the day, when i get some sunlight in the room, and more importantly glare on the screen, the viewing experience is severely diminished. That's why the link accurately reports,

    ""If you watch a lot of TV during the day, or have a room with lots of windows, LED LCD is probably best. If you watch at night, and want the TV to disappear into the background, plasma is probably best.""

    I used to watch movies from my LED computer monitor, but nowadays I just connect the computer to the TV via HDMI. Its not just the size! The picture quality esp in a dark room is to die for. Unfortunately you can never get to see this in most showrooms.

    Therefore for most people, plasma is a leap of faith :) For those who believe, plasma shall never forsake you.

    Riz

    ReplyDelete
  5. at the moment, any box that hv recognisable moving image, is a good TV for me !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!