Monday 26 March 2012

So difficult to cook!!!



  1. Hi everyone! This is my first post as a guest blogger here. Thanks Merlion for the invite. I dont blog very much, but thought I might help fill up some hours of the day as my tummy gets filled.

    Just thought I'd share with readers here on how to prepare some simple western fare. Uncle Phil has got the eastern dishes covered well enough, so there is market saturation there. :P

    Let me know if this is useful and if you do try cooking it, share with us your results. On the same note, bring a foodie, I'm also thinking if its worth sharing places to eat - both good & cheap and pricey but fantastically experiential to all your senses. Let me know. Here goes.


    "So difficult to cook!! Always overcook then so tough and no taste!" That's something we hear when people talk about cooking fish. And thats what we thought as well, until a chef friend, M, who trained at Le Cordon Bleu dispelled that myth.

    Cost: $8

    Costs outside: $25-$35
    Feeds: 1
    Time: 30 minutes
    Difficulty: Low
    Shiokness: 7.5/10

    Ingredients
    300g Salmon fillet
    Fresh dill and oregano
    1 small slice of butter
    Olive oil
    Lemon
    Salt

    Here are the instructions he gave, complete with step by step pictures we took on our 2nd attempt. 1st attempt was phénoménal, because we never knew home cooked fish could taste so good. 2nd was just as good but we knew what to expect - just like the feeling you get when you return to an excellent hatted (or starred) restaurant. It never tastes as good as the first time, unless there is a significant change of menu or chef of course.

    If you are in Sydney, the Fish market at Pymont is an excellent place for the freshest seafood. Today we bought 2 piece for dinner and we paid about $15 for it. The current price is about $24 per kg. Your salmon should be of a very bright pinky colour and smell watery and not fishy; this is a sign of freshness.

    If required, descale the fish using a knife or a de-scaler. The next part is a simple but important step to cooking your fish right.

    Slice the fish skin in the middle and at the sides. This prevents the skin from pulling and curling the fish fillet which will then make it difficult for each side of the fish to maintain maximum contact with the pan.

    Next, season with just salt and a little mixed herbs. Of course fresh oregano and dill would be great, but if you dont have them at hand, the ones you see in the picture will do. Now, thats the beauty of really fresh fish, there is no need for much fancy seasoning. Alternative for your next attempt: Try rubbing white Japanese Miso paste instead of salt and herbs.
    Leave it for about 5 minutes, and drizzle some olive oil & fresh lemon juice on it and let rest for another 5 minutes.

    Heat up a non-stick pan with a small slice of butter. When the pan is hot, turn down the fire to low-medium and place the fish skin side down. When doing so, do not let the sides of the fish fillet touch the hot surface of the pan, as this will be your "done-ness indicator". Do not touch the fish at all, just leave them to cook. At this point, start a stopwatch!

    If you observe the sides of the fish right after putting the fish on the pan, you'll see that they'll look uncooked and still look orange in colour.

    After about 4 minutes, the sides of the fish will slowly turn pinkish, when the whole of the sides have turned pinkish (pinkiness have reached all the way to the top), it's time to flip the fillet. What you see in the picture below is at about 2 and a half minutes. Remember the stop watch? At this point, take note of how long you have cooked the fish for. (lets say 4 minutes in this case)


    After flipping the fish, cook for the same time as you did for the other side - another 3 minutes. But if you like your fish slightly medium like me, cook for 75% of that time.


    For today, we did a fillet that was well done (left pic) and one that was closer to medium (right pic). As you can see, the fish is so fresh that it flakes apart when i pressed it with my fork.

    Serve with your favorite white wine. Riesling was our choice.

8 comments:

  1. wah nice!! must try!!! Thanks JW for contributing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dill ~ i used to buy those frozen dory and sprinkle with dill and garlic.. love it to the max!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing. Now Uncle Phil has a competitor liau!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome, dude! gotta try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy cooking but because not a pro, either under cooked or over cooked. After getting myself a thermometer, I am getting perfect cook everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I love it too, especially for my kids rich in Omega 3.

    Last time I usually bought at China Town Haymarket at AU21.99/kg.

    After moved to Hornsby it cost me AU29.99/kg at Hornsby Shopping Mall. The prices are so much different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!