Wednesday 21 March 2012

Any Barter Trader Out there?

We received a text message from a friend, asking whether we would like to have a donation of a box of chili for the Kongsi and it will be delivered personally to our place. How could we turn down such a good offer and kind gesture? In return we sent him an invite to have a meal with us. A flurry of one line messages followed to confirm place, food and time. We finally decided to have peppery Bak Kut Teh, literally translated from the Hokkien dialect as “Pork Bones Tea”.

I wonder how many of you have noticed that my friend and I have just done an old kampong trading transaction called barter trading. It certainly isn't something new that we have invented; bartering has been around for a very long time. It's the way our ah kongs and ah mahs (grandparents) conducted their daily business and how they survived in their kampong days. Although many of our younger Singaporeans aren’t aware of this system at this present time, our grandparents bartered on a daily basis.Back in those days, people simply produced almost everything they need themselves. And what few things they didn't produce from their small vegetables plot, they procured by barter trading with someone in their kampong. On feast days or festival days, families exchanged traditional kuihs and cakes not because they can enjoy a greater variety without having to make them but it was a communal spirit of sharing among them.

Our grandparents and parents have set a precedent, and if this isn't Greek to you, then you understand that bartering is an economical and clever way to save money. If you barter an item you no longer need, you not only clear a little clutter from your house but you save money. Furthermore it helps someone else and gets something you can really use in return. It's a way of taking care of our needs and at the same time someone else's wants without spending money. As a self confessed hoarder, this is going to be a difficult task. But I am heading that direction and didn’t have much choice as my Mrs has given a dateline for me to clear the garage by springtime.
By re-educating ourselves on the right track to barter, are we able to revitalize this tradition of bartering and open ourselves up to the many resources and possibilities available to us from where you are now living.

Anyone willing to barter for my homemade chilli sambal?

8 comments:

  1. my generation...which is not far from merlion, dun generally favor the idea of bater trade. Hence, i am often "laughed" at during my schoolhood days.

    When i started to give out things, sinkies tend to be mlmlwl (mai la mai la wa mai la) soon i cease to ask sinkies and new generation msian if they wan "donation".

    YET, this barter trade is often done in Gaming world where strangers (sinkies) will be more than willing to trade spare equipements for potions or other equipments. Which is rather perplexing for me to comprehen.

    If i get to catch up with you, can i have some sambal chilli^^. i find it hard to make these in apt pigeon hole and staying with non-temasek housemates. They cannot apprehend now tolerate the chokign smell whilst the making of the sambal. My frd's relative got complains when they start to make sambal in their large yard, the smokey smell floats to nearby houses and the neighbours arent quite forgiving to these new smell. lol'd Imagine if we start to do homemade fermented tofu.

    Last but not least, I have few things i have that i can give away.
    -almost new Handbag
    -decoratan clay doll set
    -3 pairs of full length stockings beige color
    -2 large coffee cups (NEW)

    Other than that handbag, the rest were gifts i had to accept from ppl which have very lil use for me.

    I NEED
    -TV
    I think no one can help me on that in adelaide for now. I just refuse to spend to get a TV when i hardly use.

    Please note that i reside in ADE, but if anyone want my stuff and u r of different state, i can arrange sth, i tend to stay overnight interstate more than few times a year. Rarely in perth sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you coming over this Easter? We will definately keep a bottle of our famous homemade Aunty Jo's sambal chilli for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wanted to ask, is it a bad idea to catch up with u say 8pm ish on fri? Assuming my frd is staying in epping. I haven got ard asking her. I really want to brg my frd who is very homesick to get to know u. I cant really do much for her as much as i wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter Saturday is the prefered date by the majority of those who are coming. Yes, your friend is most welcome at our home anytime.

      Delete
  4. if translation is to be literal, then "bak" is really just meat & pork is just incidental...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaloh, you are right in a literal way, but when a Singaporean Chinese talks about"bak"(meat), it is almost certain that the animal to which he refers is the pig

      Delete
  5. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!