Tuesday 20 March 2012

EOI: The Bane of Arrogant Singaporeans To-Be Migrants

Hi.

My name is asingaporeanson from asingaporeanson.blogspot.com. I live in Perth. You may probably not heard of me before but I assure you I am the most cynical, negative contributor of this blog you will ever encountered. If you are interested in finding out why, which I highly doubt so, you can always read the crap here.

Being who I am and for my first post in this blog, I should start off with bad news. If it had been already discussed, I apologise but I will repeat it since bad news is my kind of thing.

First, the fundamentals. It is a bit lengthy but I have kindly highlighted what you need to read.

******
The Department of Immigration will introduce a new SkillSelect System on 1 July 2012. It will no longer be possible to apply directly for certain types of visas. Instead applicants will need to first lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and only the best candidates will receive invitation to lodge their applications.
The following types of application can only be lodged through SkillSelect after 1 July 2012:
  • Skilled Points tested visas such as independent, sponsored and regional Sponsored; and
  • Business Skills Migration

Some employer sponsored visas can applied for via SkillSelect, however this is optional and it is still possible to apply directly rather than through SkillSelect:
  • Employer Nomination Scheme - ENS
  • Regional Skilled Migration Scheme - RSMS
  • 457 - Business Long Stay

How SkillSelect will apply to Skilled Points Tested Visas

For Skilled Points Tested visas, Expression of Interests will be lodged online.
To lodge an EOI, you must have completed your skills assessment and your English language test (usually IELTS).
You also may wish to obtain a nomination from a state or territory government prior to lodging an EOI as this will improve your chances of getting a nomination.

Processing of EOIs

Every few months, the Department of Immigration will review the EOIs which have been lodged, and issue the best candidates with an invitation to make an application for skilled points tested migration.
If you are nominated by a state or territory government and meet the current pass mark, you are very likely to be issued with an invitation.
Otherwise, there will be quotas for each occupation. The people with the best points score will be issued with an invitation. So people with more work experience, better English scores and higher qualifications will have the best chance of getting an invitation.

Time Limit to Apply after being Invited

Once you receive an invitation, you will need to make your visa application within 60 days.
If you are unable to apply within this time, your invitation lapses. If you are invited once, there is no guarantee that you will be re-invited later, and in any case you can only be issued with a maximum of 2 invitations before your application is removed from the EOI system.
In other words, you need to be prepared ahead of time to make sure you are in a position to take up the opportunity when it comes your way.

******
Why is this happening? Well, unlike Singapore the famous leg spreader, Australia is clamping her legs as tight as possible, leaving only enough space for ventilation. Basically Australia is saying, *"Knn, you alibaba kias, I'm shutting the door, kiss my arse."

*Like a Sir Translation: 
The quality of migrants is not satisfactory. We need to improve our immigration screening measures.

So basically anyone who is more eligible than you will jump queue and get the visa approved first. And you, stay behind until god-knows-when. This is bad news for migration agents and worse news for the average Singaporean migrant wannabe.

Worse, when you are lucky enough to be invited, you need to apply it in 60 days. If you are rich enough to hire an agent, congratulations. If not, you'll find it a pretty stressful challenge to do it all and keeping the application error-free, especially so if you have family and dependents.

These days I still read cocky Singaporeans stating things like, "I think I am eligible but don't feel like migrating yet but probably will do so and apply in a few years time." Heh. I'll love to be there when they realised they haven't been updated of this new set of guidelines.

So wake up and smell the coffee. Australia does not love you anymore. Times have changed and the cheese have been moved. 

Keep your "So what, I don't want to be there anyway," comments in the pocket because we are generally not interested in people like you. The blog is designed to help people who genuinely wants to be here to contribute to their adopted country and countrymen. 

I wish all potential migrants the best of luck.

15 comments:

  1. Hi singapore son thanks for contributing! You so famous! We sure heard of you before!

    As far as we know, Singaporeans are highly skilled and highly valued in the Australian workforce. :)

    Many more will be invited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an uncle of this kongsi, I am so delighted that you have come onboard and I am sure your contribution is invaluable to this blog and the most important thing is sharing your thoughts with other Singaporeans, warts and all.

    Kam Sia,
    Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. With IELTS requirement bumping up to 8, that itself already eliminates a lot of potential applicants. Adding this eoi is a little harsh seriously especially when the old demand list essentially becoming the main list for application. Nonetheless, I suspect this is to filter the bottom of the crop even if you can get 8 for IELTS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~>_<~~~

    i am one of those to say I CANT get get overall....i cant really talk in exams. no matter how well i can bs in interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree to the core. Thumbs up for your bravery to share the truth. Some singaporeans are still stuck in their foot when migration topic surfaces...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reference to the source for those who wish to read or post it anywhere else.


    http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/#.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wah... sibei heng.. I have applied earlier... and now waiting to receive my visa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I read of some reports saying that some companies are already expressing their concerns on this issues , they need the manpower to run their business but the forever getting higher immigration becomes a great hurdle for them to expand. Even some angmos commented that the need for high ielts is sort of like discrimation againts non native english speakers. Even native english speakers might have problem scoring such a high ielts demand for extra points. So is oz only expecting the super eligible personnel to move to their land? the brainiest candidates might jus be filtered out jus because of some requirements that are not in their favor? That was once, a local tertiary institute in sg, turned away a group of high calibre individuals from china for its post gradutes research due to their not so good english, n guess what, another top uni in the states took all of them.

    I did follow some aus politics, n seems like the labours are conservative on immigration policy vs liberal(i think u can predict the policies set by looking at the party name itself). Sorry if I understand it wrongly..dun slap me ya...haha

    I have a colleague, the top engineer in the office, but speaks sucky english, but he is the master mind of solutions when all other people gave up and also encountered posh english speaker, angmo, but he is like farting when it comes to technical. I think any employer will pick the one that can perform the job istead of walking around throwing smoke bombs right? Jus my 2 cents..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, -asingaporeanson-, for another informative opinion and another take on the coming July changes.
    I continue to receive much food for thought from your blog.

    I wish to share some reactions which follow below.
    I prefer being a defensive pessimist, more like you perhaps.

    With the EOI and SkillSelect, the Oz government may have successfully begun selecting for PRECISELY those ugly arrogant ones among us to go over.
    Such demanding requirements actually FAVOUR the elite, ultra-kiasu, go-getting, super-qualified, insensitively ambitious among us to most easily go Down Under.

    This leaves behind the rest of us here, who do not know how to be less humble or less ruthless in getting a better life elsewhere.

    Before you know it, more and more of your new neighbours may very well be the former ones you left to avoid.
    Australia Fair becomes the New Singapore, ripe for taking over.

    I don't suppose Oz needs my best wishes in their latest immigration changes.
    They already cut us off in July last year, with the heavy emphasis on recent work experience.

    Our sad conclusion then, is Oz does not need a young AVERAGE family who just really want to start a quiet life somewhere more peaceful, to let the children grow up.

    Would I then want to fight for an IELTS 8.0+, when I should easily qualify, given my line of work?
    Would my wife and I then want to offer up both our boys in sacrifice, after they grow up and do army national service here, then go over to become the juicy ripe fruits for immigration picking, through study and work Down Under?

    Funny, how Oz Labour now resemble New Lib Dems in their latest attempt to stem the inflow of the Asian tide.



    Funny too, how we who are left behind will be left to pick up the dregs of an increasingly hostile Singapore, while those luckily fled celebrate their fortune overseas, and gloat backwards.

    Maybe with time, if we survive being walked over as corpses of an older, earlier Singapore, if we manage to pivot and go on in an alien new island, we might be thankful we have not been seduced over.

    That despite great odds at which new immigrants were pitted against us former migrants, we hardened our cyst and consolidated our niche.

    What then, we the cockroaches who were passed over for the elite meritocrats?

    Good luck, Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI,

    My name is DW and wife and I are Singaporeans....we migrated to Perth 4 years ago and are now firmly entrenched in Perth.

    We thought we could help in sharing our experiences in Perth with fellow Singaporeans making the switch, especially in Perth which is so isolated.

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's awesome someone is finally taking notice of our vet's and doing something to help them. I hope all goes well with these articles. More new information i will get after refer that post.
    IELTS Coaching in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your efforts, It was really good information and the concept is a great way to enhance my knowledge. These are very different kinds of valuable information.
    Jmeter Training in Chennai
    Jmeter Certification
    IELTS Coaching in Chennai
    Ethical Hacking Course in Chennai
    Spoken English Classes in Chennai
    TOEFL Coaching in Chennai
    Jmeter Training in Adyar
    Jmeter Training in Anna Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  13. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. After a few times a victim of a loan scam
    money between

    People who have finally found a person of good heart so that I He gave a loan I wanted for years and thanks to him I was able to make its I pay my dreams arrears. In 72 hours it was already submarine in my account. What God Thank you and I suggest to all your financial problems He left her Send by e-mail, contact him and he will help you. I swear you can enjoy 100/100 Thank you for understanding. Email (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!